If you’re looking to make money online, then it’s time to create content. It can be anything from blog posts to videos and infographics. The key is finding what works best for you and your audience with the goal of creating content that will become a source of passive income.
You might not be an expert in this field, but that shouldn’t stop you. After all, who knows better than you how your audience likes to consume information? Content creation is a staple strategy for affiliate marketers, and it has the potential to make a serious impact on your life and finances if done correctly. With this guide, you’ll learn everything about creating content for affiliate marketing.
What is affiliate marketing?
Affiliate marketing is a business model that allows people to earn money by promoting other people's products or services. It's the act of earning money through the sales of goods and services in which the merchant pays you a commission. It's as simple as that.
Profitable partnership, business partners cowork. Affiliate marketing, cost effective marketing solution, affiliate marketing management concept. Bright vibrant violet vector isolated illustration
Basically, you choose a product and market it on your website (or blog). Then, if somebody ultimately buys this product, you get paid commission for the sale. It is also called performance marketing, because sellers only pay affiliate marketers after they make money from their conversions. This way of generating revenue can be powerful if done correctly.
The content creation process
Define your target audience
The first step in creating content for an affiliate marketing strategy is to define who your audience is and what they want. It’s easy to get caught up in the idea of trying to appeal to everyone, but that’s not going to work. You need to find out what will resonate with your audience and what they need.
Create a keyword list
Once you know your ideal customer wants something, it’s time to create a keyword list. A keyword list is important because it tells you which words people search for when they are looking for something similar or related to the product you plan on selling.
It also helps you narrow down your content so that you don’t have too many topics on your plate at once, which can make it difficult for someone new to decide where or how to start.
Create content that matches keywords
Create content that matches keywords by thinking about how people might be searching the internet for information related to your product or service, then write accordingly. For example, if someone searching “how do I lose weight” used Google, they might type in phrases like “healthy diet tips” or “how to get a six pack.”
You can use Google AdWords keyword planner to find out which words your target audience is searching for on the internet. You can also find lists of relevant keywords by going through Amazon affiliate websites and pay attention to how they phrase their blog posts around certain topics. Look at where they add emphasis using bold or italics and go from there.
Write content that converts users into customers
The most important thing to do when creating content is to write something that will encourage your audience to take action and ultimately become a customer. This means you need the right call-to-action (CTA), otherwise, people won’t know what to do next.
Make sure you’re providing a link to the affiliate product you want to sell and tell people exactly what they need to do. There are so many different calls-to-action that you can use, but it needs to be compelling enough that your audience will feel motivated to click on something that will take them closer to their end goal.
How to master your content
While it is true that you can’t expect perfection out of the gate, what is important is that you are improving. The difference between average writers or bloggers and ones who are great writers or bloggers is practice. You need to be creating content on a regular basis in order to get better at it over time.
Use the 80-20 rule to increase your chances of success
The 80-20 rule is also known as the Pareto principle and states that 20 percent of your content will be responsible for 80 percent of returns. So, you want to spend more time on this top 20 percent than anything else. For instance, if you write 10 blog posts, you’ll want to focus on the one that has the most potential before moving on.
This also means that you can afford to be a little more lenient with other posts and not stress too much about individual mistakes or things you didn't have time for. Just do your best and improve over time.
Stick with what you know
The number one reason why content fails is because the writer doesn’t have a full understanding of what they are talking about. You can see this in blog posts that come across as unnatural or seem to lack focus, and it tends to turn people off.
So, if you’re going to write a blog post, make sure you understand the topic well enough to present it in a way that people can easily follow. Don’t try to write about something you aren’t interested in either, because this will show and nobody wants that.
Be consistent with your content
Another thing you want to do is create at least one blog post per week and stick to it. This will help you maintain your audience’s interest and keep them coming back for more. Your goal is to make this a habit, because the only way to do that is to make it part of your schedule. So, whether you want to create content on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays or whatever day works best for you, once you pick a day make it happen.
If writing isn't your thing, don’t stress about it
Unfortunately, not everyone is equipped to write well or has the time to sit down and do so on a consistent basis. If this sounds like you then what you can do instead is create videos that contain valuable content. There are so many things you can do, including company overviews, interviews with experts in your industry and tutorials on how to do something.
You want to pick a topic related to affiliate marketing and create valuable content that people will find useful when they go online to look for answers. Ultimately, all of this information should be relevant to your affiliate offer and what you’re trying to sell.
Creating the perfect content for your audience
The first step in creating successful content is knowing your audience.
- Who are they?
- What are their needs?
- How do they like to consume information?
After you have these questions answered, it’s time to create the perfect content for your audience.
Remember, there will never be a one-size-fits-all answer to what works best for your audience. Try out different genres and see what sticks. The key is finding what works best for you as an individual as well as what resonates with your audience.
Most importantly, test and track how your content performs before going live. Get feedback from readers or customers so that you can cater the right information to them at the right time.
Tips to creating a successful blog post
We know that blogging is a great way to generate passive income, and it can be even more successful when you follow some key rules and create content tailored to your audience.
You want to make sure your blog post is able to cut through the noise of other posts on similar topics. This way, it will stand out and become a primary source of information for your audience.
It's also important that you're creating content that aligns with your business goals. It might be tempting to write about whatever topic you find interesting, but if that doesn't help advance your business, then it would be better not to do it at all.
Once you have these tips in mind, then it's time to get started. Follow these steps before starting any blog post:
- Decide what type of blog post you want to write about
- Do research on similar topics or related topics
- Come up with ideas for potential titles or headline ideas for your blog post
- Schedule time for writing by committing 20 minutes each day for at least a week
The importance of infographics
Infographics are powerful, and they can help your content cut through the noise on social media.
They're also great for helping you establish authority in your industry because it’s an excellent way to create more content without having to do a ton of research or writing yourself.
You can find free stock photos online and use them with your infographics, or you can hire a designer on a site like Fiverr to create the infographic for you.
The most important part of creating an infographic is making sure it contains quality information in addition to providing value. There are plenty of marketers who make money from free graphics they steal from other websites. While you can get away with this for a little while, eventually your audience will catch on and be turned off by your content.
Template for Affiliate Marketing Content
WHERE TO PLACE KEYWORDS IN YOUR ARTICLE.
- Your Article Url.
- Your article Title.
- Your First Paragraph.
- Subsequent paragraph(s).
- Your last or closing paragraph.
- Links or Links to other articles on your blog.
- Keywords you are targeting for your article keywords section of wordpress blog post editor box under 'tags'.
- KEEP YOUR ARTICLE LENGTH above 2500 words where possible.
- Use your keywords once in the first paragraph.
- Use your keywords as many times as you can without over doing the same keyword twice within a 200 words.
- Keep to one sentence paragraphs with no more than 7 lines per paragraph which will help to keep your article length looking natural and organic.
- Link out to at least one other blog, website or reference source that is relevant and makes sense to your topic where appropriate.
COMMON KEYWORD MISTAKES TO AVOID:
- Keywords stuffed in the middle of sentences so it sticks out like a sore thumb and looks very unnatural.
- Using the same keywords over and over again within 200 words which will make your article look spammy.
- Re-using the same target keywords more than once in your article which will not only look spammy but also the search engines will mark your article as duplicate content meaning you are less likely to be seen by search engines.
- Forgetting to use your keywords in the url of your article which is very important for ranking your articles on Google.
- Spreading your target keywords too thinly throughout your article or using substandard quantity of keywords are either way it will not only look spammy but also rank you lower than your competitors who do the same thing.
- Never use keywords like "I, we" and other unnecessary words that can be replaced with strong action verbs to give your article a good flow and more power.
- Using article directories or article banks which will not only look spammy but will dilute your keyword density and hurt your search engine rankings.
- Using keywords that are too generic and not popular enough to be picked up by Google, Yahoo and Bing and also will hurt your search engine rankings.
- Using keywords too similar to each other which can create duplicate content issues with the search engines and will hurt your ranking positions for both of those target phrases.
An Example Structure of the Article
H2, Your Second Heading Here.
Link to other articles on your blog.
H3, Your Third Heading Here.
Link to other articles on your blog.
Creating content is the cornerstone of any successful online marketing strategy. There are many ways to go about creating quality content for your online business, one of the best methods is through building an infographic. While it may look like a daunting task, infographics can be created relatively easy by anyone, even with little or no design experience.